Skip to main content Skip to footer

Water Leakage, Flooding and Drainage

What are you experiencing?

This is not a Town issue, homeowners should contact a local contractor to have the situation assessed, evaluated and corrected.

Contact the Operations Centre at (905) 945-9201 to schedule an appointment for inspection, repair or replacement. There is no charge for servicing the water meter.  The Town is responsible for the water and connecting nuts only.

The property owner is responsible to repair the main water shut-off and properly maintain fixtures inside and outside their residence/building.

Contact the Operations Centre to inspect and turn off the water shut-off valve at the road. Please see Rates and Fees for current service fees.

Contact the Operation Centre at (905) 945-9201 to report discoloured water.

Contact the Grimsby Water Treatment Plant to report any unusual water odours at (905) 945-2840

Contact the Operations Centre at (905) 945-9201 to arrange to have the shut-off adjusted.

Storm water drainage issues on private property are generally the responsibility of the property owner.

However, please contact the Town if your drainage issue is related to one of the following:

  • Drainage issues for new subdivisions (as a result of lot grading): contact the Engineering Department
  • Driveway culvert extensions and new culvert applications: contact the Engineering Department
  • Damaged or plugged culverts, contact the Operations Centre at 905-945-9201

What can you do.

Being proactive and responsible for maintenance can prevent high water bills and building/property damage. 

Perform a test in the entire household by taking a water meter reading after the last use, recording all the digits and the position of the exact position of the tenth column. Refrain from using any water during the night and before taking the meter reading in the morning before the first usage. 90% of leaks in residential plumbing are found in the toilet tank. Add colouring or dye test tablet (local hardware store) in the toilet tank. If within 15 minutes the colouring appears in the toilet bowl, check the flapper is closing tight. Inspect the following fixtures connected to the water supply: taps (inside and out), water-cooled air conditioners, humidifiers, underground lawn sprinkler systems.

Contact Ontario 1 Call at 1-800-400-2255 to arrange for any locates if you are digging on your property. Or go to Ontario One Call to request a locate online.

Water meters are located in the basement along the front wall, near the floor, in the washroom or laundry room.

Contact Us

Town of Grimsby
160 Livingston Avenue
Grimsby ON, L3M 0J5
Phone: 905-945-9634
Fax: 905-945-5010

Sign up to stay up to date with news from the Town of Grimsby

Stay up to date on the Town's activities, events, programs and operations by subscribing to our News Alerts.

This website uses cookies to enhance usability and provide you with a more personal experience. By using this website, you agree to our use of cookies as explained in our Privacy Policy.