Burn Permits


Open Air Fire Permit Application

The Town prohibits open-air burning unless you obtain a burn permit, as per the Town's Open-Air Fire By-law. An "open air fire or open-air burning" means that any fire that is conducted outside a building and includes bonfires and fires that are contained in a Fire Pit, Outdoor Fireplace or burn barrel.

Urban Fire Permit Regulation Overview

Fire Prevention & Education

How to Apply


Before applying for an Open Air Fire Permit please review the following information:

  • Review the full content of this Open Air Fire Permit Application page.
  • Is your property eligible to apply for an Open Air Fire Permit?

Validate Property

  • A diagram of your property is required for application submission.
    • You can provide a hand drawn diagram or leverage the validate property tool to generate a diagram of your property.
    • You must identify the following items that apply to your property. See the example below to ensure you have a successful application.
      • (1) Location of Proposed Open Air Fire
      • (2) Fire Dept. Access Route to Fire
      • (3) Ponds, Cisterns, On-site Water Sources
      • (4) Property Lines, Boundaries
      • (5) Roads, Driveways, Paths
      • (6) Buildings, Structures, Obstructions
      • (7) Trees, Crops, Vegetation
      • (8) Nearest Fire Hydrant
    • The following image is an example of a completed property diagram. You can click on the image for a larger view.

 Example of a Completed Property Diagram




Create a Property Diagram Tutorial

  • Not the Property Owner of the location?
    • Please be advised if you are not the property owner of the application. Please be prepared to provide a Schedule H. This will need to be completed by the property owner and submitted with application.



     Apply now

  • $25 plus HST
  • The application and payment can be completed online through our website.  A service fee of 1.75% of the amount paid is levied by Paymentus for each transaction.



  • $35.40 plus HST
  • Print a copy of the Open Air Fire Permit Application
  • If you need a printed copy or further assistance, please call us at 905-945-2113 or email us at gfd@grimsby.ca
  • Submit the completed application form along with a cheque made payable to the Town of Grimsby either by:
    • Mail, Town of Grimsby 160 Livingston Ave, Grimsby, ON, L3M 4G3 or
    • Deposit into the drop box at the Town Hall main building entrance
    • Please put Attention: Burn Permit Application


Once we receive your application we will review the submission and respond to you within 5 business days.


 Farm Fire Permit

  • Open air fires set and maintained on property zoned for agricultural use under the Zoning By-Law require an annual farm fire permit.
  • There is no fee for this permit.
  • Farm fire permits shall be subject to provisions, conditions and prohibitions as set out in the Open Air Fires By-Law 21-17, as well as Schedule "A" of the Open Air Fires By-Law.
  • These permits are also only valid for the calendar year and expire on December 31st of each year.
 Important Considerations
  • Many residential properties are not large enough to meet the clearance requirements for a lawful open air fire.
  • Urban area fires require a minimum clearance of 4 metres. (approximately 13 feet) in all directions between the fire and an building, structure, fence, overhead wire, or combustible material.
  • Urban area fires require a minimum clearance of 6 metres (approximately 20 feet) to an adjacent property or highway.
  • Any person who sets or maintains an open air fire is responsible for ensuring that there are sufficient clearances around the fire.
  • Despite having a valid permit, it is unlawful to set or maintain an open air fire that causes smoke, odour, ashes, or embers to invade a neighbouring property thereby causing a nuisance.
  • Residents that fail to comply with the regulations will result in fines and/or fees of $775 per hour for each fire truck that responds to extinguish an unsafe or unlawful fire.
 Reporting a Concern
  • Open air burning complaints should be reported while the offence is occurring.
  • Serious threat and/or property damage - Call 9-1-1. Remember, this should only be used if it is an emergency situation as the fire department will be dispatched to respond to an emergency.
  • Less serious situations (e.g. smoke is creating a nuisance) - call 905-684-4311, the Fire Dispatch Non-Emergency number. A member of the fire department will be dispatched to investigate the complaint.
 By-Law Update
Effective 2021, a number of changes have occurred and a new Open Air Fire By-law 21-17 has been approved.  This is following significant community consultation. Therefore, the following items are new or updated to ensure the by-law supports a safe and healthy community.
  • The permit classifications are revised to:
    • Farm Fire Permit
    • Rural Fire Permit (New)
    • Urban Fire Permit (New)
    • Campground Fire Permit (New)
    • Specific Event Fire Permit (New)
  • The former "Urbanized Areas" was replaced with "Urban area".
  • A new "Specific Event Fire Permit" was introduced to facilitate campfires by various community groups for a specific occasion or series of occasions.
Sensitive Receptor Registry
  • Sensitive Receptor Registry is an approach whereby the fire department maintains a confidential database of locations where exposure to smoke may pose a particular risk to the health of an individual or group.
  • Residents wishing to be placed on the registry would submit a letter from their physician or a notarized statement attesting to the medical need to have their address placed on the Sensitive Receptor Registry.
  • Burn Permits would not be issued, nor open air fires allowed, within 75 metres of a location listed on the registry.
  • The registry process is in development. If you have questions about the registry, contact the Fire Department.
Flaming Devices
  • A new section was added to the By-law to allow the outdoor use of small flaming devices, such as tiki torches and candles.
  • The outdoor use of these devices was technically unlawful under the previous By-law, but should be include as an allowable device.
Flying Lanterns
  • The By-law prohibits the use of these balloon-like "flying lanterns" devices.
  • The devices are a fire safety concern because these open flame devices have an uncontrollable and unpredictable flight path when released.
  • They can land on trees, building rooftops, and other combustible properties while still ignited thereby creating a public hazard.
  • The By-law now authorizes the Town's By-law enforcement officers, in addition to Fire prevention staff, to enforce the open air fire by-law, and issue an order to extinguish a fire.
 False or Frivolous Complaints
  • The By-law is in place to ensure that open air fires are safe.
  • At times, neighbours are using this matter to solve neighbour disputes rather than a safety concern or true violation of the By-law.
  • A monetary penalty and a cost recovery mechanism for repeated responses is now in place for false or frivolous open air burning complaints.
  •  An appeal mechanism if charged under the Administrative Penalties is now in place to allow individuals who have been assessed fees or charges under the open air fire by-law, to appeal those fees or charges.

Contact Us