The Grimsby Museum has approximately 15,000 artifacts in the collection and we continue to grow. We collect objects, archives, photographs, textiles, archaeological material, books and art that relate to Grimsby. We are responsible for preserving the artifacts for current and future generations.

 Featured artifact

old photo of basket factory

Photograph of H.H. Farrell & Sons Ltd. September 22, 1927.

 

In 1913, Henry Farrell and Arthur Hewson opened the Hewson and Farrell Basket Factory on Elm Street, Grimsby (where Coronation Park and the Lions swimming pool is located today).  Their partnership dissolved in 1921.

 

Henry Farrell kept the original building on Elm Street and named his company H.H. Farrell and Sons. In 1933 a fire in the storage shed destroyed the entire inventory of baskets.  On March 20, 1952 another fire destroyed the factory. 

 

Farrell's business was part of the original group of five that made up Canadian wood products. Canadian Wood Products decided not to rebuild the factory.

 

Note the fruit baskets stacked in the upper right window in this photo.

 

Basket factories played an important role in the early days of the Niagara Region’s agricultural industry.                      

 

Interested in learning more about Grimsby? Sign-up for one of our walking tours this summer! Register on-line

 

 Online collections

 A selection of the Grimsby Museum's collection is available to browse online.

 Research

For research appointments, please contact the Grimsby Museum. Are you looking for information on Grimsby's history? We offer access to our full collection through research requests. The Grimsby Museum's collection includes documents, letters, photographs, diaries and other material relating to families, businesses, organizations, places and events in Grimsby's history. Free for members. Some fees many apply.

 

 Additional resources

 

 

 

Contact Us