The Town's Building Department issues permits for the construction, renovation, demolition, and certain changes of use of buildings as well as property reports.

Building permits

Building permits protect the interests of individuals and the community. By reviewing and approving building plans before you start, we can ensure buildings comply with:

  • The Ontario Building Code, which sets standards for the design and construction of buildings to meet objectives such as health, safety, fire protection, accessibility and resource conservation
  • The local zoning by-law and other planning controls on property use


Before we issue permits, it is sometimes necessary to obtain the approvals of other agencies or other levels of government depending on the type of project or project location. Contact the Building Department at 905-309-2022 early in the planning of a project to find out if other approvals may be required.

Permits are required for most construction activities, including:

  • Decks greater than 600 mm (23 5/8") above grade,
  • Sheds greater than 10 square meters (108 sq ft),
  • Site alteration
  • Swimming pools


You must pay the building permit fee when you apply for a permit. A permit must be obtained and fees paid prior to any action approved by the permit. Any action that is started before obtaining a permit may be subject to a Stop Work Order being issued and a fee for non-compliance.

Contact us for more information

For more information please contact Building Services or call 905-309-2022.

Committee of Adjustment

The Committee of Adjustment is comprised of five citizens appointed by Council to consider applications for consent for severances and applications for minor variances to zoning by-laws. The Committee of Adjustment is a quasi-judicial body, similar to an informal court that operates under the Planning Act, the Statutory Powers Procedure Act and various provincial regulations.

Committee approval

Approval is required by the Committee for:

  • Consent to sever when an owner of land wishes to sell, convey or transfer an interest of “part” of their land or wants to enter into an agreement that commits the use of land through a lease, easement or mortgage for more than 21 years
  • Minor variance to the zoning by-law when the owner is unable to comply with the provision of the zoning by-law


The committee operates independently from the Town Council. Pre-consultation with a planner prior to submission is recommended and to determine what outside agencies will be required to review the application.

For more information contact COA Services or call 905-309-2037.

Planning Department

The role of the Planning Department is to promote good planning through the provision of information and service to Council, the development community and the general public. 

This includes:

  • Providing Council with advice and recommendations on planning matters
  • Undertaking land use related studies
  • Carrying out delegated authorities on behalf of Council, such as processing development applications
  • Providing land related information to Council, agencies, and the public
  • Administering the Economic Development Program
  • Supporting Heritage Advisory Committee Programs

More information about the role of the Planning Department can be accessed using the following links:

Official Plan and Zoning By-law

The Town's Official Plan sets out the Town's general policies for future land use. The Town's Zoning By-law puts the Official Plan into effect and provides for its day-to-day administration.

Contact Information

Contact us with your questions and concerns.

Contact Us