Skip to main content Skip to footer

Building and Planning

Welcome to the Building and Planning Department at the Town of Grimsby.

To send a general inquiry to the Building Department, please contact:

To send a general inquiry to the Planning Department, please contact:

Building Applications

The Town's Building Department issues permits for the construction, renovation, demolition, and certain changes of use of buildings as well as property reports. These materials are available in an alternate format, upon request.

Building permits protect the interests of individuals and the community. By reviewing and approving building plans before you start, we can ensure buildings comply with:

  • The Ontario Building Code, which sets standards for the design and construction of buildings to meet objectives such as health, safety, fire protection, accessibility and resource conservation
  • The local zoning by-law and other planning controls on property use

Before we issue permits, it is sometimes necessary to obtain the approvals of other agencies or other levels of government depending on the type of project or project location. Contact the Building Department at 905-309-2022 early in the planning of a project to find out if other approvals may be required.

Permits are required for most construction activities, including:

  • Decks greater than 600 mm (23 5/8") above grade,
  • Sheds greater than 10 square meters (108 sq ft),
  • Site alteration
  • Swimming pools

You must pay the building permit fee when you apply for a permit. A permit must be obtained and fees paid prior to any action approved by the permit. Any action that is started before obtaining a permit may be subject to a Stop Work Order being issued and a fee for non-compliance.

For more information please contact Building Services or call 905-309-2022.

Planning Approvals

The Town's Official Plan sets out the Town's general policies for future land use. The Town's Zoning By-law puts the Official Plan into effect and provides for its day-to-day administration.

For more information on how to make a planning application (Official Plan Amendment, Zoning By-law Amendment, Site Plan, Draft Plan of Subdivision/Condominium), please visit the Planning Applications page.


A formal Pre-Consultation Meeting is required prior to the submission of an application for an Official Plan Amendment, Zoning By-law Amendment, Draft Plan of Subdivision/Condominium, and/or Site Plan. At the discretion of Planning staff, a formal Pre-Consultation Meeting may be required Consent and Minor Variance applications.


Information on making a minor variance or consent application can be obtained by visiting the minor variance and lot creation pages.

Throughout the Town, there are many active applications for Official Plan Amendment, Zoning By-law Amendment, Draft Plan of Subdivision and/or Draft Plan of Condominium. For more information about these active applications, please visit the Current Planning Applications page.

The Planning Department also undertakes a variety land use related studies on behalf of the Town. To learn more about current and past planning initiatives, please visit the Planning Studies page.

Sign up to stay up to date with news from the Town of Grimsby

Stay up to date on the Town's activities, events, programs and operations by subscribing to our News Alerts.

This website uses cookies to enhance usability and provide you with a more personal experience. By using this website, you agree to our use of cookies as explained in our Privacy Policy.