A building permit is required for a tent or group of tents that cover an area larger than 60 square meters (645 sq ft).
On the application form under description of work include the dimensions of the temporary tent and the duration of time for which the tent is to remain on site.
With your completed building permit application form and the applicable fee, please refer to Building Fee By-Law 10-20 for appropriate fee, also include:
- 2 copies of plans
- site plan-indicate location of all existing buildings, dimensions of the tent, setbacks from property lines and existing buildings and location of any designated fire routes on the property
- manufacturer's specifications providing verification that the tent conforms to CAN/ULC S-109M, standard for flame tests of flame resistant fabrics and films or NFPA 701, standard method of fire tests for flame-resistant textiles and films
- specifications stamped by a professional engineer shall be provided for the supporting framing structure and anchorage system for all tents
- occupant load-the maximum number of people permitted to occupy the tent
- seating-if seating is provided show the number and arrangement of seats
- exits-indicate the number of sides of the tent to be left open. If all sides are closed show the location and width of exits
For large tents, additional information concerning fire alarm systems, construction of bleachers, means of egress and sanitary facilities may be required for compliance with the Ontario Building Code.
Applications are available at Town Hall or download here Permit Application to Construct.