2015 INTERIM TAX BILLING
The interim billing will be mailed to you in February with installments due March 6th and May 1st. If you do not receive a tax bill by February 24th please contact the tax department at 905-945-9634 for further information. Failure to receive a bill does not exucse the payment of taxes.
Payments can be made at most financial institutions or by telephone and internet banking. Installments can also be paid by postdated cheques provided the taxes are paid by the regular due dates. Visa and MasterCard payments are accepted, on line or by phone only, with a convenience fee https://ipn.paymentus.com/otp/stde/grm. No credit card payments are accepted at Town Hall.
A night depository is available at the front entrance of Town Hall for cheque payments only.
Please ensure that your payment reaches us on or before the due date. The taxpayer is responsible for the late arrival of payment. Penalties of 1 ¼% are added on the first day of default and on the first day of each month following. Penalties cannot be waived.
The Interim Tax billing will be prepared and mailed mid February, with two installments due the first Friday in March and May. The taxes for this billing are based on the previous year’s taxes.
The Final Tax billing will be prepared and mailed mid July for the Residential and Farmland classes only. There are two installments due the first Friday in August and October. The taxes for this billing reflect the current year’s budget requirements of the Municipality, Region and School Boards.
The Final Tax billing for Commercial, Industrial and Multi-Residential classes are prepared and mailed mid September with only one installment due the first Friday in October. These billings are delayed to accommodate calculations under the mandatory Capping Legislation.
A Supplemental tax bill may be issued when there is an increase in the value of your property, an addition to the property, the construction of a swimming pool, the construction of a new building or a change in classification. The change can be backdated to the date the change occurred, to a maximum of three (3) years. Supplemental taxes are billed in addition to any other billing that you may receive during the year. The due date for a Supplemental billing may be anytime during the year, made payable in one installment and may be due with as little as three (3) weeks notice.
You will only receive a supplemental tax bill once the property has been assessed by MPAC (Municipal Property Assessment Corporation) http://www.mpac.ca/pdf/mpac_homebuyers_brochure.pdf and once that information has been forwarded to the Town of Grimsby. There is no exact time-frame with this process.
2014 TAX RATES Tax Rates
Your main source of contact for information regarding Tax Bills
Email / Contact
The Town of Grimsby has partnered with Paymentus Corporation to bring you the convenience of paying by credit card. Paymentus Corporation is a third party automated payment service that accepts Visa or MasterCard.
How much will I be paying in convenience fees?
Utility Bill - $ 3.00 per every $100 (or part of) amount paid
Property Tax - 2.75% of payment
Please note the Town of Grimsby does not receive any part of the service fee. Paymentus is an independent company providing a service for the Town of Grimsby.
Customers should be ready with:
The account number located on your bill. Property tax must be 19 digits beginning with 2615 and utility bill must be 13 digits;
The balance owed on your bill, and
Your credit card.
To access the service either:
Call toll free 1-877-755-6386 and you will be linked to a secure automated telephone payment system powered by our bill payment partner, Paymentus Corporation, or
Click on the Paymentus link https://ipn.paymentus.com/otp/stde/grm and you will be transferred to a secure web page.
You will enter the payment information including the account number, credit card details and payment amount.
You will be asked to agree to convenience fee and terms and conditions.
You will be provided with a confirmation number upon successful completion of the transaction.
Reasons for application to the Council for adjustment of taxes:
- Ceased to be liable to be taxed at rate it was taxed - s.357(1)(a);
- Became exempt - s. 357(1)(c);
- Destruction or damage - not voluntary - s.357(1)(d)(i);
- Destruction or damage - (substantially unusable) - s. 357(1)(d)(ii)
- Mobile unit removed - s. 357(1)(e);
- Gross or manifest clerical error - s.(357)(1)(f) or 358(1);
- Repairs/renovations preventing normal use for a period of 3 months - s.357(1)(g).
For further information please contact the Tax Department at 905-945-9634.
(Low Income Seniors & Low Income Disabled)
You may be eligible for a tax deferral if you and/or your spouse meet the following qualifications:
1. The applicant must own or occupy the property as their principle residence.
2. The applicant must have owned a residential property within the Town of Grimsby for a period of one or more years preceding the application.
3. The applicant must be in receipt of benefits from one of the programs identified on the application. Proof of receipt of benefits from the program must be submitted with the application.
4. The accumulated amount of deferral cannot exceed 50% of the current assessed value of the property.
5. Tax deferral applies to current taxes only and not tax arrears or outstanding taxes.
6. To maintain eligibility the property taxes must be current.
7. A tax reduction from a successful assessment appeal may alter the amount of the tax deferral.
8. In the event a tax deferral is granted, no interest charges will be added to the amount deferred.
9. Repayment of the deferral amount will be due and payable to the Town of Grimsby on:
- Transference of title of the property;
- Disposition of the property;
- Applicant ceases to be eligible for deferral of taxes.
10. In order for continued eligibility for the Tax Deferral Program an application must be submitted to the Town of Grimsby each taxation year.
11. Application must be addressed to the Municipal Treasurer and submitted to the Town of Grimsby.
12. Deadline for submitting an application is February 28th of the following year that the tax relief is being requested.
Click here for a copy of: